Ah, spring! This season brings increasing daylight, warming temperatures, and the rebirth of flora and fauna. Take a moment to walk outside and notice the green plants growing in your garden. The three months of the spring season bring about the revitalization of all things in nature; usually increased rain water, waking from hibernation and the spring equinox next week: Gaia’s announcement that we have come to the season of birth.
Without our awareness—and sometimes unnoticed, nature shows us this every spring—the announcement from those small crocuses, bright happy daffodils and yellow forsythias which blossom without fail. The swelling vibrant and bursting energy that moves the sap and forces the buds to open and bloom may be our calling and awakening from winter as well. That burst of energy to clean, change our diet or other small rejuvenations; unseen energy that surges through body, mind and spirit that so often goes unnoticed or at least, unspoken. Watch what greens begin to appear in the grocery stores or farmers’ markets. Is this too a sign from nature, a calling of sorts to detox our bodies after our heavier winter fare?
Alkaline food detoxes our body—leafy greens, sprouts, berries, cherries, asparagus, grapefruits, lemons, spinach or dandelion greens available now for your choosing. See what local leafy greens appear in your neighborhood market, and how you might prepare them tonight? Or, are you more of a ‘blender chef’? See the green shake recipe below. You might also try sipping hot water every day for two weeks. The hot water will dilate, hydrate and begin to detoxify your tissues and encourage your lymph system to move sort of like the sap. (Smiling) Ancient cultures have lived within the harmony of natural cycles. A balance of yin and yang promotes health and harmony. Understanding this balance within your body is key. Happy spring!
Delicious Green Shake!
In Vitamix, place all ingredients, blend and enjoy the benefits of health and vitality!
- 2-3 generous handfuls of baby organic spinach
- 2-4 leaves of organic kale. (I use the leaves and save the big stems for my green juice.)
- A big handful of fresh organic sunflower sprouts
- 1 ripe avocado scooped and placed in blender (The seed has more phytonutrients than the actual ‘fruit’-feel free to add it to your shake. The Vitamix will easily incorporate it right into the shake!)
- 1 ripe banana (Option: I like to freeze mine and just break them into 2-3 pieces. Peel before freezing and put them into a zip lock bag.)
- 1-2 scoops of “live” organic powdered greens such as Green Organics
- Optional scoop of organic protein powder such as Green Organics “Smooth Vitality”
- Udo’s Oil 3-6-9 or Flax oil to taste
- 4+ cups Kangen water 9.5 or pH preference
(A few frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or even a lemon can be added for a bit of sweetness or more flavor—as in the case of lemon. Other veggies that can be added to the shake are cucumber, celery, asparagus, ginger, garlic. Be creative—but try to keep the shake mostly green and mostly veggies! J )
Clinical studies show that proper nutrition reduces oxidative stress, positively impacts markers of systemic inflammation, helps support a healthy immune system, helps protect DNA, and promotes Cardiovascular wellness. Visit: http://www.thepowerofph.com